October 7, 2017

The spirit of the water

By Ruby Pluhar
Wild Rivers, NM
September 8, 2017





I am constantly brought back to the water, and return daily to the same magical spot that I found on my first hike down to the little springs of the wild scenic rivers on our first day here. I head down early, and watch the morning sun rise and glide over the water watching the glistening hues of yellow, greens and blues come to life. I am drawn to how the rock formations sculpt the fluidity of the water, resulting in abstraction of shape in all sorts of otherworldly kinds. I began noticing how the shapes seemed to mimic movements and textures of the body. I decided to take a series of images of Mikala around the space, playing with reflections and the rhythm of the water. I took special attention to choose clothing where the textures and tones of the fabrics corresponded to their environment to personify Mikala as a spirit of the water. The glisten of the water began to mirror in the sparkle of the silver trousers, and her burgundy vest with the richness of the sand.


No comments:

Post a Comment