September 24, 2017

Rio Grande Headwaters

Alex Kinney
Rio Grande Headwaters, CO
September 15, 2017


The first day out while at the headwaters I saw two alpacas at the base of the road before the trail heads. That was the closest I had ever been to an alpaca and it was very cool. That day I brought out an audio recording device and tried recording things. I tried to make the microphones come in contact with surfaces of plants and rocks to see how sensitive it would be. I recently heard of a study where scientists played the sounds of caterpillars eating leaves of plants to some plants and the plants emitted a toxic compound in fear of being eaten. At the head waters I was interested in interspecies communication and ended the trip thinking about “timespace” and scales of time for communication.





No comments:

Post a Comment