September 15, 2012

Owl Nest

Jeff Nibert
August 30th, 2012

       After four long days of building, my two nests are complete.  I never thought that building bird nests would be so challenging.  The first nest is thirty feet up in a dead tree on the edge of the north rim of the Grand Canyon.  The second nest is in a wooded area built on a fallen tree.


       The two very different sights evoke very different feelings.  The first shows the scale and magnificence of nature.  The second is more intimate and is a place to be enthroned.  I plan to interject myself as an owl-man in these natural settings.  As enacting this owl-man figure, I will portray a sense of place and push the question of where we belong in the world.  Throughout our journey, I will continue this project by putting myself in different settings.  This is in order to push the thought of belonging and residing, how man interacts with nature, and how nature copes with man.  Also, a special thanks to Eric Cook for all his help on construction and his help with the night photos.


     

No comments:

Post a Comment