October 11, 2017

Dancing With The Sand

By Issy Arnold
Angel Peak, Four Corners, NM
September 25th, 2017


Sunny told us our hair is attached to the stars and Daniel said his Grandfather once walked him round a hogan and told him the name for every single piece of wood used to build it.
It was really overwhelming to hear Navajo stories passing down a respect and understanding for the equality of all things in the universe  at the same time as learning about and seeing (and hearing) the earth being ripped open and creatures on the surface destroyed through fracking.
I wasn’t really sure how to deal with all this information so I did the thing you do when nothing else works - I DANCED

As I was dancing this poem popped up on my iPod and it seemed to sum up how I was feeling at that exact moment pretty well.  


No comments:

Post a Comment