November 3, 2016

Incognito at Valle Vidal

By Molly Zimmer
Valle Vidal, NM
October 2, 2016




The Valle Vidal has a very special connection with me because of my previous visit several summer ago, where I fell in love with the expansive meadows. Revisiting the “Val” as we nicknamed it gave me a deeper connection with this location; and the lasting impression of the pine forest smells, and drastic changes of feeling concealed in the forests one moment, and the next exposed on the open meadows.


In response to the upcoming hunting season that opens for Elk on October 8, 2016, and my interest in the way that shapes and shadows  merge and disappear into the forest when you pass by led me to the question: How can I create an embodied experience of a brush or tool made of pine branches that plays with this visual camouflage that happens in the shadows, and addresses one aspect of how movement creates gesture?


My response was to create a full-body pine needle suit that I could mount on myself, and transform the safari woman tourist into a creature of the landscape.

https://youtu.be/IM4y3tXKbBE

No comments:

Post a Comment