November 24, 2015

Flower of Stone, and other special sightings and stabby things

By Paula D. Barteau
Big Bend 
October 19, 2015
I found several clumps of what I believe was Selaginella lepidophylla or Flower of Stone, an ancient species of desert plant that can survive total dehydration in a dormant state and revitalize when exposed to water. 
























Flower of Stone

I feel like there is a consciousness in the rocks here that might function in the same way. This place feels old and tough and graceful, like it's hovering on the edge of sleep, just watching to see what happens, like it might wake up at any moment.






















Prehistoric smile

I made a nest of thorns out of that feeling.











Nest of Thorns






















Eggs of Stone


I found a piece of string in a puddle that was not in fact a piece of string, but two worms mating. They were each between one or two feet long and about the diameter of an angel-hair pasta.  I think there was a colony of bees living under a rock next to the puddle who came out in large numbers to drink from it.



















Tiny Crystal nest


I went for a hike one morning and got completely absorbed in my own thoughts when my foot slipped and I sat down to keep from falling, only to realize that a herd of 15-20 Javilina were crossing the mesa about a quarter of a mile bellow me. They were sprawled across the mesa, each taking their own path down from the hill, but all of them made their way to a small sand stone arch at the bottom of the mesa and passed through it single file on their journey. I didn't have my camera with me and when I went back the next day they didn't show up.


















Javalina trajectory map



No comments:

Post a Comment