August 30, 2012

Wrapping (Work in Progress)

Amelia Zaraftis
August 30th, 2012

         At the Fire Point campsite on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, I took the opportunity to wrap a tree - a process I have been experimenting with over the last few years.  In this instance, the tree was a small Ponderosa pine.  Using plastic forestry tape, this wrapping process provides a way of getting to know a single tree via sensory experiences, and was markedly different to the tree wrappings I have done in Australia.  Pine needles prickled my skin, sap stuck to my arms and fingers, the rough texture of the bark and the strong smell of pine both left an impression.  The performative nature of this process has been apparent to me for some time, and as a potential way to translate the work for exhibition, I decided to put aside my hesitations about video and, wearing my safety complex outfit, document the wrapping of the tree.  I was pleasantly surprised with the way the video conveys my engagement with the tree.

Please click here to see Wrapping (Work in Progress):

No comments:

Post a Comment